Sunday, May 29, 2011

Oh say can you see.......

So it is really a poem, that was then set to a drinking song and would eventually became our national anthem. As I sit here and listen to another person perform it at a national event, I become nostalgic for that old drinking song. You see, the one thing about a drinking song is that you never sing it alone.

Today the national anthem is predominantly sung as a solo. At sporting events, graduations or public celebrations, we look to see who has the coveted role of national anthem singer. Many times it becomes more of a performance for the singer, than a moment. What kind of moment you may ask? Well that is for each person to decide.

For me, when I hear the "Star Spangled Banner" I think of what our flag stands for at it's most pure representation, freedom and equality. So when the anthem is played, I put my hand over my heart and sing along. The only problem is that I am one of the few that do. Now, I can carry a tune, but I cannot sing the national anthem like a pro, or even a semi-pro for that matter. That is not what is important though. What I do think is important is the unity that the song and the flag represent. The seperate stars, stripes, states and people coming together to agree on the ideals that our country was founded upon. Ideals that have been missed many times, but must be strived for regardless.

It was a song that was not meant to be sung alone. It is our flag and our anthem. So when you hear the music begin, don't be shy. On this Memorial Day, I would encourage you to lift your voice with those around you to give due to our flag, and those who gave all for it.

No comments: