Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy Lent!!

"Little steps equal big gains".... It was a phrase that our pastor used in a sermon not too long ago, and then the boys basketball team at my sons school used it as their slogan this season. It came back to me this morning as I sit down to write on this first day of Lent 2011. For the past few years I have taken the time to celebrate Lent. It is not part of my religious background, but I like the idea of sacrificing something in order to bring your focus to God and the death and resurrection of Christ.

While I tend to use the season, I never said that I play by the same rules. I am lucky in this respect because I get to make up my own rules. Or so I thought. Two years ago I was moved to write daily in a blog about what God was doing in my life, or how He was speaking to me. Last year I tried it again, but failed miserably. I may be making up my own rules, but it is God who needs to give me the direction.

So I truthfully was not thinking about Lent, but about something God had been needling me about for a while now. So as I was thinking about how and why to do this thing, it dawned on me that Lent was about to start. I was excited, God had again given me a new opportunity to work it out with Him in a different way.

So today I am starting my journey and inviting anyone else to join along. What is it you ask? You will just have to check back tomorrow and find out, and see if I got it done. I do have a hint for you......"a can a week is all we ask".

No comments: