Sunday, March 20, 2011

The can lady.....

So after I started this little journey, and began blogging about my "can a week", one of the ladies at my work sent me an instant message and asked the question I knew I could not yet answer. "So, can I give you a can to take?" I knew this would be one of the first questions I would encounter.

When this whole thing started months ago as just a thought in my head, I very easily dreamed of what it could become. What if every household in Lemoore gave a can a week? Or every household in Kings County? I saw visions of shelves packed with cans, so many that even the new food bank could not hold them all. People who needed help would have a source for food, and the agencies that distribute food to the needy would not have to ration it out.

Then I started to think, we could give it a name, and market the whole idea. Why not? We do it with everything else. A can a week....that's all we ask? Then I started picturing the logistics of how this kind of operation would work, and then....I stopped.

Was that what God was asking me to do? Start some kind of organization? Create a movement? Or was it just for me personally to give a can a week? Don't get me wrong, I believe God can do anything He wants with His own ideas. At this point in the journey though, I have no other thought than to give a can a week.

So with that in mind, I answered her to the best of my ability. I told her that I am just doing what I feel God is telling me to do, and if she felt moved to give some cans, I would gladly take them. Who would say no to that! I did tell her though that taking in her cans personally would be encouraging to those who are serving the poor. Who couldn't use some encouragement?

Every week now I get some cans. Sometimes given directly to me, and sometimes anonymously left hanging on my car. Does it bother me that they are giving them to me, instead of taking them to an agency themselves? NO. At this point I am just glad my friends don't think I am crazy. I am blessed that they show love and kindness to a woman who is striving to love God, even if it looks a little different than what they are used to.

1 comment:

mindy said...

I love this Cheryl. You do have a heart for God.