Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Visions of corn danced in their heads....

I think it started with some people that I know who have ministries to the homeless, or as my friend Jeff calls them "friends without homes". He works directly with his friends without homes in the Santa Barbara area. Another is a lady at my church, who makes food and feeds the homeless where they are camping. She is a widow, and just knows how to stretch the food dollar. She is one of those "old fashion" ladies who was taught to garden and cook from scratch for her family. Now that it is just her, she has expanded the word family to those who do not have a home.

Maybe it was he book I read by the president of World Vision? It is his view of how we as Christians may have missed the mark in dealing with those who are without homes, poor and the third world. It is an eye opener. Maybe it was a combination of all of the above, and then some. I really don't know how it started, but I know where it took final shape. I was in the grocery store in the canned food aisle. As I pondered what my part would be, I walked the canned food aisle and the thought struck me, "what would a can a week cost?" It was then I felt God's leading to just do the most simple thing I could, just give a can a week.

So yesterday I dropped off my first can. I want to thank the nice ladies at Lemoore Christian Aid for not thinking me crazy.....or for at least keeping that to themselves. It does not sound like much, but at this moment it is what I am compelled to do. What will happen in the next 39 days of Lent? How will this turn out in the end? All I do know is that at least for one meal, one family will have a can of corn to eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few years ago our Food Bank here in Napa was way down; and simple things..little things..HELPED BIG TIME IN THE END..a group of us started the 10-10-10 campaign. We sent an email to 10 friends, asked them to do one of three things..1) bring a food item to the food bank 2) give $1 or $10 to the food bank or send the same email to 10 of their friends asking that they do the same! It was incredible the amount of food and money we provided to the food bank and the way the trickle of a few..started a sunami of giving...I am not certain that everyone (and they probably aren't) still giving..but I am certain a few are, and that is a few more then were doing it before we started.

PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THAT A SMILE TO A 'FRIEND WITHOUT A HOME' CAN REALLY HELP! Anything more then that is extra.. GREAT ARTICLE CHERYL..YOU WILL HAVE INSPIRED MORE THEN YOU KNOW!