Thursday, April 9, 2009

Assume the position.....

Today is Passover, and while I am a Christian I tend to think more of how God freed His people from bondage in Egypt than of the last supper. I love the story of the exodus. One of my favorite bible passages is the song of praise the people sing in Exodus 15, it ends "Sing to the Lord, for He is highly exalted; The horse and his rider He has hurled into the sea." Love it!!

So because I don't tend to spend much time with the last supper, I decided I had better read it again. I was interested to find that only the gospel of John relays the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet. Now we observe communion at various times of the year, and in some churches they do it every week. Why don't we observe the example of feet washing? I have actually participated in the tradition once. It was done tentatively, with a few giggles, but I do not really think it had the same spirit.

I am sure my feet were not spotless, but they did not have the dirt of dusty streets. I had the luxury of shower that morning, with hot water and soap. A much different scene than what would have met Jesus that day. When my feet were washed there was no scrubbing, someone just rinsed off my feet and dried them off.

I can see Jesus in my minds eye, down on His knees having to scrub so that the dirt from the many miles they traveled would come off. I can imagine the disciples not being comfortable at first, but then they start to relax as Jesus massages their feet as He dries them. Maybe they felt relaxed and a little humbled when He was done. Who doesn't feel relaxed after a good pedicure?

I think of those who do not have the luxury of hot water and soap. Those who live on the fringe of society, and do not have the simple ability to wash daily. How would it feel for them to have their feet gently scrubbed, with fragrant soap and massaged dry? Now for me the real question is, would I be willing to reach out and do that for them? Or even just shake their hand? Jesus said in John 13:14 ..."You also ought to wash one another's feet."

Would I be able to put aside any pre-conceived notions and reach out and touch someone in this circumstance? I would like to think yes, that I would be able to do it. While that may be true....Am I doing it?

It does not matter if I think I would do it or not, if I do not step out and put myself in the position where I would have the opportunity. That is the million dollar question....do I want to position myself to do good?

No comments: