Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Keep watch....

I am reading the gospel accounts of the last days of Jesus, since it is almost Easter. I have a verse underlined in the 3 gospel accounts where it happens. Jesus asks the disciples to pray with Him in the garden. While there, the disciples fall asleep, not once but twice. All the while, Jesus is praying fervently, seeking God's will and strength to face what is coming next.

If the disciples had known all that would happen, would they fallen asleep? Wouldn't they have been praying so that they would not "enter into temptation", as it says in Matthew 26:41. They were not praying though, they had probably snuggled down and found a comfortable position to start praying, and instead fell asleep.

I know that the future holds a combination of good and of the not so good. At times we will all face struggle, hardship,and mourning. There will also be times of joy, good fortune and peace. The problem comes as we face each new day, and are not sure if we are going to find the good, the bad or the ugly.

What is consistent though, is whatever kind of day we face, we must start it with prayer. Just like the disciples, without bringing ourselves close to our heavenly Father, and seeking His protection, we run the risk of walking smack dab into the middle of the thing that may hurt us most. I take Jesus at His word, if he says I can pray to "not" enter into temptation, I want to do that. Like the disciples though, I find that so many times I forget what should be first, and unfortunately make it last. Easter is coming, I don't want to be found sleeping on the job.

No comments: