Saturday, March 14, 2009

'Round the Table Carol Sing memories....

So it is late, and I have had a very grumpy day. I remember going to bed grumpy, then waking up and falling back into that same mood. No one seemed to have the same agenda for the day as I did. The house was barely cleaned up and the list of things to do seemed endless. My plans would have been for everyone to work for a few hours, then go do...whatever. Their plans meant playing volleyball at the park. Now I have to admit, it was a terrific day to play ball, but there was so much to do. So I tried to get some things done while everyone was gone. It went ok, but I was frustrated by my lack of progress. I shook off the grumps for a little while tonight, because we went to dinner with friends. As soon as we got into the car though, I was back to my bad mood.

So as I sat down to write I could not imagine what God would lay on my heart, but He knew. I sat down and logged into Facebook, and saw a link for the 'Round the table Carol Sing page. Crazy name, I know, but to anyone who went to Calvary Church in Los Gatos it is a remembrance of a time that has gone by. RTCS for short, was a Christmas production put on by the church every year. The church had a gym, and every November and December it was transformed into a 360 degree stage. Full choir, orchestra, play and children's choir. The production was fantastic, and with 16 performances it was very well received by the public.

It brings back wonderful memories of watching them, and participating in them. I remember the year an ice skating rink on the stage. It wasn't real ice, some kind of synthetic stuff, but the skater was real as she glided across the surface. The way the choir prayed for the people in the audience, as they sat quietly waiting for their cues. The children's choir that always brought smiles, and how the baby Jesus was always lifted high above the head of the one playing Joseph. Of Frosty and Rudolph, who always came and handed out candy. Of being a "santa baby", and how I wish I could still fit into that costume.

Most of all, every year at Christmas when I hear Luke 2:10, I hear the voice of a child. "I bring you glad tidings of great joy"....I don't remember who the boy was, but I can still hear his voice and the excitement that was in it. It is a good memory....I hope I can hear it forever. In case you are wondering, I am not grumpy anymore. How could I be with those memories, that voice and the good news of the gospel reminding me how much I am loved. Thank you Jesus!!

1 comment:

RIHunt said...

It was so great to read your post about RTCS. I performed for many years in the children's choir and acts, along with my siblings. My dad (Rick Safholm) ran sound with Paul Moody, and my mom played handbells and sang in the choir. I was just reminiscing to my husband about "the good 'ol days" at Calvary, with RTCS at Christmas and the maze at Halloween!