Thursday, March 12, 2009

Comfort and strength...

Tonight my son, Gene, was feeling uncomfortable. So he asked that I come in and pray with him. OK...so I will not win best mom award. I do not make my son pray, but let him choose to pray or not. There are days where he wants me to pray with him, and days where he does not. So tonight when he asked me to pray with him, I said that I would love to come in his room, and be there while he prayed. So he did, asking God for protection and help in getting to sleep.

We then talked about the lesson from sunday school, it is the story of Peter being jailed and then released from prison by an angel. As I was getting ready to teach the previous sunday, I was struck by the fact that while Peter was in prison, he fell asleep. Now that may not seem very strange, I mean a person has got to sleep, but it was amazing to me that while in this situation Peter was relaxed enough to fall asleep. Did he feel safe? How? I don't know, but earlier in the story it is pointed out that the church was gathering together and praying for Peter.

What power God has given us through prayer! I let Gene know that God was faithful to Peter, and would be faithful to him too. So he settled down, and is in the process of going to sleep as I write this. I love how an example in God's word, mirrors what happens in our lives on a day to day basis. I thank God that He loves my baby so much, that He gives me stories out of His word that bring comfort and strength.

No comments: