Friday, March 20, 2009

No brainer...???

It is amazing how one day, you are sitting there and realize a profound thought, and are shocked why you did not think of it before. I have been a Christian since I was in elementary school. I did not grow up in a Christian home, but was "adopted" by a family that brought me to church every Sunday that I was willing to come. So from fourth grade on I heard bible stories, sang the great hymns of the faith and was shown by example how to pray. Not that everything was perfect, I look back now and see legalism poke out it's ugly head, but in building a foundation for my faith, it was good.

As I was reading today, I realized that I knew people that were not only unchurched, but they have never even heard some of those basic bible stories that I know by heart. They have no idea who Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego are, let alone why they were thrown into the fire. Have they heard of Daniel, Nehemiah, Jonah, Deborah and the Ethiopian eunuch? The bible has so many stories, and the history of a nation, but they do not know. I mean these are not people out in the jungle, where they do not have access to a bible, or where there are no churches. These are people living in the United States, the land of the free and the home of the brave. With a church on every corner, and a couple of bibles in every home, or at least in most homes.

It may seem like a no brainer, but after this thought hit me I tried to think how to approach these people. Do I give them a bible? I mean, I have spoken to them about God, and my faith, but their bible illiteracy is so great. How do we get past that? I am not sure, but I am hoping God will give me the wisdom to find a solution to the situation. I am confident He will provide. Why? Because Philippians 2:13 tells me that "it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure". I know that profound thought came from Him, which means the solution is also His to provide. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

No comments: