Saturday, March 21, 2009

Worthy of touch....

So today I had the pleasure of participating in a spa day with some of my friends. It was a wonderful time. All of our needs were taken care of, and for a few hours we were treated like queens.

When I went in for my massage, I was happy to just lay there and relax under the skilled hands of the massage therapist. I was interested by the fact that during the massage, she always had a hand on me. That person to person connection was very relaxing. I was surprised by the feelings of comfort when she massaged my hands. Her touch made me think about how healing the touch of a person could be. I wondered what happens when there is no personal contact?

What about those who we may feel are unworthy of our touch? Someone who is dirty, sick or in poverty. We are scared to reach out and touch those who may need it most.

In the book of Ezekiel, God is speaking to those in Jerusalem who have shown themselves unfaithful. I was struck by the word picture God paints in chapter 16 verses 9 and 10. Of God, who gently bathes, annoints and clothes his people. It is showing His great grace, even when we don't deserve it. This picture of God physically stopping and caring for bodily needs, says to me that the connection between people is important. And not just the easy, clean, good looking people. Every single person who walks the face of the earth needs the touch of someone who cares enough to look past the circumstance, and at the heart.

No comments: