Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Prepared to do good....

There is an annual event in the valley called Kids Day. It is an annual fundraiser for Valley Children's hospital. We are blessed in the central valley to have an exceptional children's hospital at our disposal. I personally know children that have received care at this special place. So every year on Kid's Day, the Fresno Bee sells a special edition newspaper, and hundreds of people stand at intersections selling them for a dollar. It is such a well received fundraiser, that many people give more than the required dollar for their paper. As I was getting ready for work, they mentioned it on the news, so I checked my purse to make sure I had a few dollars ready for my paper. I left the house this morning, ready to do good. As I got into the car, I put the money on the seat beside me. While driving I decided to try out my new earpiece that my husband purchased for me, I put it on and was talking to him in an instant. I had driven for just a minute or two and saw that the detour that had been set up the day before was still in effect. As I commented on this fact, I explained to my husband that there was some utility problem and they had been working on it since the evening before. Our conversation was short, and by the time I had hung up with him only a few minutes had passed. By that time I was approaching the high school where I would turn right, to get to the freeway, and I was somewhat surprised by the person standing on the corner, there was a woman selling a Kid's Day paper. As soon as I saw her I knew what she was doing, but in the few short minutes that it took to get from my house to the high school, I realized that my mind had been distracted from Kid's Day back to normal life. What had been at the top of my mind when I left home had been displaced in a few short minutes.

As I slowed to make the turn, I rolled down the window and handed her the money I had on the seat next to me. As I continued driving, I thought about how easy it was for me to forget about "doing good". It made me think, what if I had not checked to make sure I had a couple of dollars before leaving home would I have gotten a paper? If I hadn't had the money out on my seat, would I have had time to dig in my purse, possibly holding up traffic,to get my paper? I am not sure. They only sell it on the street in the morning. If I had waited till lunchtime, I would have been out of luck.

How many of us find ourselves in the same position? We want to do good, but when the opportunity presents itself, we are not prepared to respond. We have become distracted by other things. I thought back in my own life, on the many times I was not able to respond to a need because I was not prepared. The checkbook wasn't balanced, bills were due or I had spent too much on other things. I get distracted along the way, and take my eyes off of being a good steward with God's money. I know that most of the time I act like it is mine, but I am trying to be truthful, and when it comes down to it, God owns it all.

It has been a prayer of mine for a while now, that I become better with God's money. Sometimes I am on track, but most of the time I am trying to get back to where I should be. Today was a good day though, not only because of the newspaper. I was made aware of a need today, and I was able to help. It felt good, but even more than that, it dawned on me that I had an answer to prayer. This weekend I bit the bullet and worked on bills. What needed to be paid then, what could wait for the next paycheck, the whole rotten business. It felt good to get it done, but the unexpected benefit was that today when a need arose, I knew that I could help in a small way.

Near the end of the work day I heard a verse: James 3:13, "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." I thought the verse spoke to what happened during the day, it makes me want to seek "wisdom from above" and understanding I believe only God can give. I am thankful for the lessons of today, and thankful for the opportunity that came with it. It gives me hope that I am starting to understand a little, and that each day I can be prepared to do good.

No comments: